Identify one imaginary criminal act, such as stealing a mobile phone or bike, selling drugs, or burglary.
Now show how it could be analysed using Taylor’s framework.
- What are the wider origins of the act (for example, economic or social circumstances)?
- What are the immediate origins of the act (why the person decided to commit it)?
- Why this act rather than another?
- What social reactions might result immediately from family, education or social control agents?
- What are the wider origins of these reactions?
- How might these reactions affect the person’s future behaviour?