Study Figure 2.3 on page 48 of the book and answer the following questions:
- When did the number of births per year in the UK first start to fall?
- Identify the 3 periods during which the number of births showed steep rises. Can you suggest any reasons for a rise during these periods?
- When did the UK experience the periods with low numbers of births? Can you suggest any reasons for this?
- Suggest four reasons for the overall fall in the number of births in the UK shown in the graph.
- What has happened to the number of deaths in the UK in the period shown in the graph?
- Comparing births and deaths, when did the UK experience the periods of greatest population rise?
- Why do you think the number of deaths is projected to rise by 2041?
- Summarise in two sentences what has happened to births and deaths in the UK from 1901 to 2001.