Download this extract from Social Trends 38 and read the section on ‘Offenders’.
Study carefully the graph and bar chart (Figures 9.12 and 9.13) on book page 129.
Now answer the following questions:
- What proportion of offenders in 2006 were males?
- What is the peak age for offending a) for males and b) for females?
- What percentage of men over the age of 45 are offenders?
- At what age do women reach this percentage?
- How many females in 2006 were found guilty or cautioned for offences of violence against the person?
- How many males in 2006 were found guilty or cautioned for offences of burglary?
- Identify two offences where males outnumbered females by more than five to one.
- Which were the four most likely offences for a) males and b) females?
- How would you explain all these figures in terms of:
- female opportunity;