Read the section about Merton’s distinction between ‘manifest’ and ‘latent’ functions on page 223.
Which of the following situations or actions are examples of manifest functions and which are latent functions?
- Church-going gives people an opportunity to worship God.
- Patients receiving pills from their doctor feel their illness is being taken seriously.
- A quiz show on TV provides entertainment for viewers.
- School keeps children busy whilst their parents work.
- China’s one-child policy has produced an increase in child-centredness.
- A quiz show allows viewers to pick up information about the world.
- Doctors often give patients pills to alleviate their illness.
- Church-going provides people with social contacts.
- China’s one-child policy has restricted population growth.
- School teaches children knowledge and skills.