- The stage of data gathering.
- That they had stopped challenging authority and become like hired hands, taking no moral responsibility for their work.
- To redress the balance – unlike the views of the powerful, those of the underdog are seldom heard.
- Because their understanding of these societies could provide useful information e.g. for the military’s counter-insurgency operations.
- Lack of bias or preconceptions. Not allowing one’s personal views and values to affect the collection or interpretation of data.
- Because science and its research methods have high status in academic circles and in wider society.