The Role of Education (1) Functionalism and the New Right : Answers to QuickCheck Questions
by John Amy | Mar 17, 2014 | Role of Education 1
- Ascribed status: fixed at birth. Achieved status: gained through the individual’s own effort and ability.
- Standards that apply only to an individual child.
- Education selects according to ability through examinations and qualifications.
- Education selects the most able and suitable to fill the most important positions, and gives these individuals higher rewards.
- The idea that education should meet the needs of the economy and courses should prepare students for work.
- This was initiated by Prime Minister Callaghan in 1976 to renew the focus on vocational courses and for education to meet the needs of the economy.
- They believe some people are naturally more talented than others; they believe in the idea of meritocracy; they believe education should be based on shared values.
- It gives power to the consumers of education , so better meets their needs; improves the quality of education; meets the needs of the economy.