Gilborn (1992) found that teachers often have different perceptions of children, according to their ethnic group and therefore sometimes treated them differently. How does this happen?
Answer the following questions:
- What is meant by the term ‘stereotyping’?
- What stereotypes do you think exist regarding the characteristics of different ethnic groups?
- How may assessment methods be culturally biased and reflect stereotypes?
- How may streaming and setting occur according to stereotypes?
- How might children be channelled into certain subjects/ activities in the curriculum that reflect stereotypes?