Introduction to Sociology: Answers to QuickCheck Questions on Page 10
- A programme or plan by government that aims to achieve a particular goal.
- It is learnt through nurture or contact with others.
- (a) All those things learnt and shared by a society or group transmitted from generation to generation, including norms, values, language and beliefs.
(b) Specific rules governing behaviour.
(c) The process of transmitting, learning or internalising a culture.
- Ascribed: based on fixed characteristics we are born with. Achieved: gained through our own efforts.
- Agreement amongst society’s members about basic values.
- It enables members to agree on goals and cooperate to achieve them.
- Male-dominated society
- Urbanisation: the shift from a society where people live in the countryside to one where they live in towns. Industrialisation: where the workforce moves out of agriculture and into factory production.
- (a) Modern (b) traditional (c) postmodern.